Saturday, August 24, 2013

William Sloane Coffin, Jr.












In my late teens (sometime around 1977), I had the great fortune of seeing the Reverend William Sloane Coffin speak (and preach) about the Christian duty to promote social justice--for him the sine qua non of Christian being-in-the-world. Immediately afterwards, I read his inspiring memoir Once To Every Man:


















I remember thinking it strange that he seemed to be an embattled figure among his fellow Christians: his message was not "preaching to the choir" by any means. Of course, since then, observing American Christianity (both Protestant and Catholic) lurch rightward politically and self-obsessed (evangelicalism) theologically, I have come to understand that Coffin was something of an anomaly.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

No comments: