Friday, October 9, 2009

The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations Revisited

From time to time, President Obama sends me little mash notes, just to make me feel special. Here's the note I received from him today:

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama


From your mouth to God's ear, Mr. President. But enough talk; for talk is cheap.

Back in 2004, then-President Bush's speechwriters inserted the phrase "the soft bigotry of low expectations" into his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention. Anyone paying attention understood that phrase as code--intended to make the opponents of Affirmative Action feel that they occupy some sort of moral high-ground.

Ironically, however, Bush's eight years in the White House set the bar for Presidential competence and intellect so low that Barack Obama has become the beneficiary of a unique sort of "soft bigotry."

For, unlike his predecessor, Obama is not manifestly stupid. He is, in fact, a delightfully intelligent man. He can put words together to form sentences that actually work in English--a language that Bush struggled with, despite it being his native tongue.

When Obama speaks, he speaks well; and the public, both at home and abroad, is charmed.

The only problem is, Obama says one thing and does another.

And this is where the soft bigotry of low Presidential expectations comes in. For very few among us on the Left seem to be willing or able to hold Barack Obama accountable for his actions.

He speaks, we gush, hug each other, feel great, and look the other way as illegal wars continue to be prosecuted, Constitutional guarantees continue to be trampled under foot by the Federal government, and corporate special interests continue to receive huge government subsidies at the expense of the American people.

So, in reply to Obama's note of this morning, I say:

Forgive me, Mr. President, if I turn a jaundiced eye upon the Nobel Prize Committee's recent decision to honor you as a "man of peace." To date, the track record of your Administration on matters of war and peace surely suggests that the award is, to put it gently, premature.

I hope and pray that you have every intention of proving worthy of the honor that has been bestowed upon you.

You say that you do; but, then, you say a lot things.

When do you plan to begin? I await your decisive, Presidential action as Commander-in-Chief.

End the Empire, restore the republic. End the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Bring peace with justice to the peoples of Iraq, Afghanistan, and Israel-Palestine.

Or admit that this year's Nobel Peace Prize competition was just a beauty contest, and you just happen to have that winning smile.

No comments: